Solicitors in Leeds
accident claims solicitors leeds

Accident Claims FAQ

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about Personal Injury Compensation Claims. Please click on a link to jump to that answer. If you have other questions please contact us to speak to our experienced Personal Injury Solicitor.

What does “No win – No fee” mean?

Your solicitor may take your case on a ‘no win-no fee’ basis. With his type of agreement your solicitor assumes the risk of not winning the case. If you lose, your solicitor does not get paid and you will not be liable for any legal fees.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

Is there a time limit for making a compensation claim?

Yes, you need to make your claim within 3 years of the accident happening.

One exception to this is if the accident happened to someone who was under 18 years of age at the time. In those circumstances they have 3 years from their 18th birthday to commence the claim.

Another exception is for claims for injury caused by an industrial disease, such as Mesothelioma or Asbestos related diseases. In these cases you have 3 years from the date of knowledge of the disease. This is because certain diseases may not present symptoms for many years.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

Will I have to go to Court to claim compensation?

The vast majority of cases never go to Court. Less than 5% of personal injury cases actually end up with Court hearings. Most cases are settled out of Court by negotiation between your solicitor and the other parties legal advisors and insurers.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

How long will my claim take to settle?

The time taken to settle a case will vary depending on a number of factors. These include thing such as the seriousness of the injury, the type of accident, whether the other party defends the case and whether you have ongoing medical problems caused by the injury.

We aim to settle your case as soon as possible, however only the most complex cases are likely to take longer than 12 months to settle. Your solicitor will be able to asses your case and estimate the time involved for you.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

I was hit by an uninsured driver; can I still make a claim for compensation?

Yes. All motor insurers are obliged to pay into a pot to cover uninsured drivers. You can make a claim to the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) who can pay compensation for uninsured drivers.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

How much is my accident claim worth?

Every claim is different and will be worth a different amount of compensation. Your solicitor may be able to give you an estimate of the likely value of your claim, once medical evidence has been gathered and the extent of the injury and losses incurred has been worked out.

Compensation can be paid for the following factors which arose as a result of the accident:

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

Do I need to see a Doctor or go to Hospital?

Yes. Some form of medical evidence of the injury will be required. You may have visited the hospital or the Doctor immediately after the accident, or you may see a Doctor later on as your symptoms develop.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

My child has been injured. Can they make a claim for compensation?

Children under 18 can make a claim for compensation but an adult will have to make the claim on their behalf. This will be the parent or legal guardian.

Alternatively, someone who has suffered an injury as a child can still make a claim up to the age of 21.

For more information please see our page on Child Accident Compensation Claims.

Back to top of Accident claims FAQ.

IQ Law are Personal Injury Specialist who deal with No win No fee Accident Compensation Claims including road traffic accidents, accidents at work, accidents in public places, child accidents and criminal injuries compensation.